Friday, January 12, 2007

In Praise of KnitPicks



Tada! One swap sock finished. I'm hoping to have sock number two done in the next two weeks. This probably seems like a long time to some, but there is the (more than 40 hr) job, the house, teenagers, critters, and they all seem to want a part of me. So a sock in two weeks is good! I'm very happy knitting these socks - it's a fun pattern, and the yarn is great - nice and soft and it doesn't split (hate that).


Those in the "know", know that I am a die-hard fan of Addi Turbo circular needles. They are a dream to knit with but not cheap. KnitPicks recently came out with their own line of circulars, and I took the plunge and tried them (after listening to much word of mouth). Well. Nice pointy tips, smooth joins, supple cables. And half-to-one-third the price of Addi's. Oh boy. The ones I ordered arrived this week so I switched mid-sock. Okay I still love Addi's, but it's nice to know that if I find I don't have a particular size needle for something (is that possible?), that I can buy them without breaking the bank.


Here's another UFO. It's going to be a baby blanket someday, maybe in about 13 more squares. Don't have a clue how it's going to be seamed together, but one thing at a time. Each square has a heart on it - clicking on the picture might give you a better look. I can't get back to working on this, though, until I make Nathan's gloves. Especially since it's 28 degrees these days.... He's decided that he wants some teal mixed in with the gray since he's a big Sharks fan. So I had the pleasure of shopping for some teal-ish yarn online tonight (this is allowed on my "knit from my stash" restriction because it's for an existing project). I ended up getting KnitPicks Gloss. I don't need that much of it, so I plan to get another pair of socks out of it too. Oh yeah, and while I was there I figured I may as well order some more of those needles.....;-)

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

I know what you mean, Debbie. As soon as I received my Options needles and used them once, I was online ordering more cables, dp's, anything I could find that didn't come in the initial set. And I still love Addie's. I don't think they can be beat for quality. But those sharp points......... Great for socks and lace. I got an email from Knitpicks this morning saying they have their dp's in larger sizes now. Oh, the temptation!
Sue

Retired and Loving It said...

Debbie
The socks are amazing...I'm sorry now that I rushed through yours and didn't put much pattern in them...but I do know that you'll love the feel of the yarn on your feet. However..why do you need socks when it's so hot in California????

Sue...anxiously waiting to pack for Florida.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know someone else that loves Addi's as I, too, am a die-hard fan.
I haven't been brave enough to order the KnitPicks even though I've been eyeing them!! After reading your thoughts, I'm feeling pushed over to the other side!

Debbie said...

Just do it! You won't regret it...:-)